On January 11, 1922, the new Town of Île-Cadieux is legally created at the request of William R. Eakin, Nelson W. Howard and William G. Bailey, all residents of Montreal.
The first meetings of the new municipal council were held in the private homes of W. R. Eakin or N. W. Howard in Montreal during the winter and on Cadieux Island during the summer. The first concern is to build a new bridge of sufficient strength to allow car traffic. This bridge was built in 1924 as well as a road crossing the island on most of its extent. In December 1964, the metal bridge was replaced by the current two-lane concrete bridge, which allows traffic to flow in both directions.